Indulge in the delectable summer flavors of our Vegan Poppy Seed Dressing Recipe (Quick & Healthy). This delicious homemade dressing adds a creamy and gluten-free touch to your big salad or buddha bowl. It’s bursting with the nutty goodness of poppy seeds while effortlessly combining the richness of creamy textures with a hint of sweetness. Perfect for weeknight meal prep, whip up a batch of this tantalizing dressing and get ready to savor the light, delightful taste that will leave you craving for more.
A must-make for salad enthusiasts! It beautifully complements side salads, providing a burst of freshness that will leave lemon lovers delighted. Whether you're enjoying a big salad or a simple side dish, this dressing adds a zesty twist that elevates any bowl of lettuce or veggies. Plus, it's a dairy-free and gluten-free option, making it suitable for individuals with dietary restrictions.
In this post, I share the following:
- How to make this dressing with just a mason jar and a good shake!
- Tips to customize this dressing to match your desired flavor
- Tips on what you can use this creamy dressing for besides a salad dressing
Use this section to jump to areas of interest within the post.
This dressing is plant-based, vegan, gluten-free, has no highly processed ingredients, and the best part? It can be made without refined sugar.
- Poppy seeds - the necessary ingredient that adds a nuttiness flavor while being a nut-free dressing. Poppy seeds can be found at your local grocery store either in the spice aisle or with the bulk nuts and seeds. Check with the bakery department if you're having trouble finding them.
- Vegan mayo - brings in the tangy and creamy factor. Smooth and easily blends all the flavors together when shaken.
- Dijon mustard - adds to the creaminess while satisfying the savory side of this homemade dressing.
- Lemon juice & lemon zest - lemon's bright, lively flavor shines throughout this dressing. Adjust the measurements to fit your desired level of lemon!
- Rice vinegar - balances out the vegan mayo and works with lemon juice for a slightly tangy flavoring. You can also use apple cider vinegar.
- Sweetener - maple syrup, cane sugar, or low-glycemic coconut sugar. A little bit of sweetness shines through with any of these options.
- Onion powder & sea salt
See the recipe card for full quantities and instructions.
Calling all lemon lovers, where ever you are on the spectrum! Start slow, then add as you go. Adding the lemon zest at the end will bring a lemony pop; taste test before adding it to see if you're a full-on lemon lover.
Instead of vegan mayo, you can alternatively use unflavored, plain vegan yogurt. I prefer Forager Project.
My personal preference is to use pure maple syrup with this recipe. I don't think the maple flavor comes through, but it adds the light sweetness with less sugar that I desire with a creamy lemon poppy seed dressing.
Rice vinegar can be swapped for plain white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
Have extra poppy seeds? Make my Lemon Poppy Seed Energy Balls! they're no-bake in 5 minutes with just six ingredients.
With a handful of pantry ingredients and a mason jar, you'll have this creamy, zesty, little bit sweet salad dressing whisked or shaken together in minutes!
Add all ingredients to a small bowl or tightly fitting jar, like a mason jar.
Give it a good shake or whisk until it looks like all ingredients have been mixed together.
For this homemade dressing, you can leave the blender in its place, just add all ingredients to a small bowl and whisk or a jar with a tightly fitted lid and shake!
This dressing keeps in the fridge for up to a week in an airtight container. Store it in the same jar that you made it in so that I can give it a good shake before using it again.
What to use poppy seed dressing for?
- It works great as a homemade dressing for a side salad with lettuce or a big salad with your favorite garden veggies.
- The creaminess works well in coleslaw.
- It can also be used as a marinade for tofu or drizzled on top of pasta with some vegan feta, sliced onions, and fresh tomatoes.
- It would also work drizzled over fresh fruit or in fruit salads!
more easy dressing recipes made just for you
Love this creamy poppy seed dressing recipe? Leave us a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating on the recipe below, and don't forget to leave a review in the comments section underneath the recipe. We love hearing from you!
Vegan Poppy Seed Dressing Recipe (Quick & Healthy)
- ½ cup vegan mayo (can substitute for unflavored vegan yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Mix all ingredients (except lemon zest and poppy seeds) in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Then, add the lemon zest and poppy seeds to the dressing and stir until well combined.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Shake well once ready to use.