This simple salad is so easy to put together and a beautiful dish for sharing. Indulge on summer's bounty of tomatoes and basil with this classic dish, made vegan! A quick, healthy snack easily sliced together. Whether you're looking to break the pool party with a snack, serve guests the perfect appetizer, or just enjoy a glass of cold iced tea and conversation, this Caprese delivers.
When I think of enjoying this simple salad dish, it transports me to a shady spot outside next to an herb garden, sipping a cool drink overlooking a sunny day while thoroughly relishing in the fresh flavors of juicy tomatoes, creamy cashew cheese, and fragrant basil leaves.
If you're browsing for summer recipes, check out my Buffalo Cauliflower Salad with Dill Ranch or Easy Marinated Vegetable Kabobs.
Which vegan cheese is best?
When it comes to foods that I don't personally prepare, I prefer them to be made with clean ingredients by a brand I trust.
Miyoko's Creamery is in most grocery stores and is my personal favorite in flavor, texture, and ingredients. I am neither affiliated nor receive anything for sharing this recipe. I value brands making products without preservatives, chemicals, pesticides, and being organic. Therefore, this is the vegan cheese I buy and would recommend.
What tomatoes are best?
I recommend using either Heirloom or Roma tomatoes for this Simple Summer Caprese Salad. Heirlooms have a full, juicy, and sweet flavor. Plus, when sliced, they show off their beautiful colors. Cherry tomatoes would also work; they're smaller but filled with flavor.
Tips to prepare
⭐ Slice the tomatoes by cutting the top off and then slicing them horizontally. Slice as thin or thick as you prefer!
⭐ Sprinkle with sea salt to enhance the flavor.
⭐ For the wheel of vegan mozzarella, make a horizontal slice so that the depth of each bite is thinner. The cheese can then be cut into bite-sized slices or cut with a cookie cutter for a beautiful display!
⭐ Optionally, you can drizzle some balsamic vinegar or a drizzle of good olive oil. This appetizer also goes excellent with baby arugula, giving it more of a salad vibe.
Why you'll love this salad
This recipe is for you if you love cooking with simple ingredients and enjoy healthy eating with quick steps and simple seasonings.
Simple Summer Caprese Salad is perfect as a snack, appetizer, or a shared dish at your next gathering before the main meal.
My favorite? Make this on a Friday night paired with a fancy drink!
Craving more? Subscribe to my newsletter and stay in touch on Instagram and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Other favorite summer recipes:
Simple Summer Caprese Salad
- 1 cookie cutter (star shaped if desired) optional
- 1-2 fresh tomatoes (Heirloom or Roma)
- 1 package vegan mozzarella cheese see above for recommended brand
- 5-6 leaves fresh basil
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- Slice the tomatoes by cutting the top off and then slicing horizontally. Slice as thin or thick as you prefer! Halve the tomato slices into bite-sized portions. Place each slice onto a plate and sprinkle with sea salt to enhance the flavor.
- Take the vegan mozzarella wheel out of the package and make a horizontal slice so that the depth of each bite is thinner. The cheese can then be cut into bite-sized slices or cut with a cookie cutter for a beautiful display. Place each slice on top of the tomatoes.
- Finally, chop the fresh basil and sprinkle over top with some black pepper and you're done. Optionally, you can drizzle some balsamic vinegar or a drizzle of good olive oil. This appetizer also goes great on top of baby arugula to give it more of a salad vibe.
Leave a Reply