At last, I present to you my Homemade Pizza Rolls (Air Fryer or Oven)! This is my go-to dough recipe for all things pizza. You'll likely have everything in your pantry with just seven ingredients, including water and no yeast. The dough is thick and bouncy, making it perfect for pizza rolls! Baked in the air fryer or oven -depending on your style, and ready in under 30 minutes.
This recipe is perfect for a stay-at-home night with a board of pizza rolls and other snacks. Best yet, kids love them! Curl up with some homemade pizza rolls, a good movie, and enjoy! If you're looking for more easy dinner ideas, check out my Easy One-Pot Vegan Ramen or Easy Vegan Taquitos (under 30 minutes)!
No yeast dough
The Homemade Pizza Rolls (Air Fryer or Oven) dough is yeast-free, so there's no rise time, and you'll get these pizza rolls on the plate fast. Remember: this dough can be used for any pizza-related recipe, but these crispy pizza rolls are a HUGE hit. They make delicious leftovers and are great for parties, gatherings, after-school snacks, or the main dish.
This recipe comes from my childhood. When I was twelve, I would go to the community church every Friday with other local kids and learn how to make pizza with the Italian organ player. We called them "Alex Pizza" after his name, and all went home thinking we were Italian chefs.
They were so memorably good, never having made my own dough before, I thought it was magic that these simple ingredients made something so tasty. Recreating Alex's pizza dough but turning them into Homemade Pizza Rolls gave my inner child some giggles!
The only ingredient I added was apple cider vinegar, which bring in texture, it is optional but recommended for best results.
What you'll need for the pizza dough:
🍕Flour - bread flour works best, but all-purpose does well too. I've used King Arthur or Bob's Red Mill brands.
🍕Baking powder - helps expand the dough and fluff it up; remember, no yeast!
🍕Sugar - brings in a necessary sweetness.
🍕Salt - classic!
🍕Warm water - not hot or boiling water.
🍕Olive oil - either olive or avocado oil works best for this recipe.
🍕Apple cider vinegar (optional) - enhances the fluffy texture and assists in the rising.
Can this be made gluten-free?
Last summer, I was heavily into making homemade sourdough bread, and my pantry was stocked! So, I used bread flour for this recipe, but all-purpose will do just fine.
I haven't personally attempted making this gluten-free *yet* but when I do, I will update the recipe.
I'm guessing an all-purpose gluten-free flour with xanthan gum added will give a good dough result, but I'll report back if you test using gluten-free flour, leave a comment at the end of this post sharing the results!
Air fryer or oven?
I'm recommending the air frier only because if you have one, use it - and it's faster. It gives the dough a crispy outer and fluffy middle. You 100% can oven-bake with amazing, similar results.
Ensure they are baked enough by eyeballing the cooking process. After twenty minutes, they might need a few more minutes, depending on your oven. I promise you'll get that crispy pizza crust and fluffy middle with either baking method.
Tips to prepare
As always, the printable recipe card is at the bottom of this post with full instructions.
🍕Pizza stone: if oven baking, you'll need to preheat the oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit (I know, whoa! but za likes it hot). If you have a pizza stone, throw it in. These are nice, especially if you make a ton of homemade pizza dough. They allow even heat distribution and give the bottom and crust a nice thick crunch!
🍕Flour: when transferring the dough to a floured surface add a little bit of flour until the ball is no longer sticky. Be sure not to overdo it on the flour and add in more than necessary. A light dusting should be all that is kneaded (see what I did there?!).
🍕Shaping: shape the dough into a large rectangle, as you would with cinnamon rolls since you'll roll this dough the same way.
🍕Flavoring: herbs, toppings, and vegan cheese. Keep it to a single layer, or you might risk overspilling while they bake.
🍕Sharp knife: make sure your knife is sharp when you make the cuts for the rolls; this will lessen the risk of breaking the rolled shape. If you're getting stuck, clean the knife and run it under water - don't dry it. The wetness will give a cleaner cut.
🍕Air frying: depending on the size of your air fryer, you might need to batch cook this recipe; it yields about eight rolls.
🍕Save some sauce for dipping!
How to store?
Homemade pizza rolls store well in an airtight container, refrigerated for up to 5 days. Warm up in the oven, and make sure to save extra of your favorite dipping sauce.
I'm a fan of this dough, and it has simple steps which will result in fail-proof pizza pies or rolls. Limited ingredients - no yeast and crispy dough served up fast. If you like this recipe, let me know in the comments!
Homemade Pizza Rolls (Air Fryer or Oven)
- Air fryer
- 3 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon organic cane sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon oil (avocado or olive)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (optional - used for texture)
- 1 jar pizza or tomato sauce + extra for dipping
- 1 cup vegan cheese (my preferred brand is Violife or Miyoko's)
- 1 cup fresh basil, ripped by hand
- Preheat the oven, if using, to 475 degrees Fahrenheit (I know, whoa! but za likes it hot). If you have a pizza stone, throw it in! If air frying, preheat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- First up, add the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix everything together. Add warm water to a measuring cup and mix the oil and ACV. Create a divot in the center of the dry ingredients and add the measuring cup of water, oil, and vinegar.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix everything forming a dough ball. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead, adding a little bit of flour until the ball is no longer sticky.
- Grab that rolling pin and roll out! For pizza rolls, you'll need a rectangle-like shape so work it until one side is longer. Then, transfer it onto a piece of parchment paper.
- Grab your tomato sauce and slather it on - not too thick, or you'll have sauce squeezing out of every corner.
- Time for the flavors: herbs, toppings, and vegan cheese. Keep it to a single layer or you might risk overspilling while they bake.
- Taking the long edge closest to you, roll the dough away and into a log tightly. Using a sharp knife cut the dough into individual rolls (like sushi, cinnamon rolls, or pinwheels).
- Set the rolls onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and stick them in the oven or air fryer. If your air fryer has a nonstick basket place the rolls inside. Depending on the size of your air fryer you might need to batch cook this recipe, it yields about eight rolls.
- The vegan pizza rolls will bake for 20 minutes in the oven or 15 minutes in the air fryer until the outer edges are golden brown. Once baked, allow them to cool and dig in, dipping in a side of marinara sauce or extra pizza sauce.