Looking for the perfect Dairy-Free Coleslaw Recipe (Vegan + Easy) to accompany your next vegan BBQ chicken sandwich? This healthy coleslaw is crafted with simple ingredients, including vegan mayonnaise, which gives it a tangy zest. It's the go-to recipe for the perfect summer side dish, adding a crisp and refreshing touch to any meal. This dairy-free coleslaw dressing pairs perfectly with BBQ soy curls, enhancing the flavors and making it a must-have for any summer potluck, indoor or outdoor barbeque.
Get in we're making quick slaw tonight! That's an under 5-minute, whip-it-together creamy coleslaw that pairs as the perfect side dish to any barbeque meal.
I commonly pair this recipe with my Ultimate Vegan BBQ Sandwich as the perfect topping to the sandwich. It's the quickest meal to put together!
In this post, I share the following:
- How to make this recipe in under 5 minutes.
- What fresh ingredients make this traditional coleslaw recipe outperform others?
- What other recipes this easy coleslaw recipe goes great with?
Use this section to jump to areas of interest within the post.
Simple pantry-friendly ingredients combined with fresh produce make this dairy-free dressing the zesty, tangy, but oh-so-creamy slaw you'll love.
- Pre-shredded cabbage mix - keep it simple and buy the bagged or get creative in the kitchen and shred your own mix.
- Vegan mayonnaise - finding vegan mayo isn't too hard these days, thank goodness! My favorite brands are Chosen and Sir Kensingtons. Double-check the label that it is vegan. Brands will often have an eggless and egg version.
- Apple cider vinegar - adds the tanginess we love about classic coleslaw.
- Dijon mustard - rounds out the flavors and brings in a more savory tone.
- Maple syrup - adds a little sweetness
- Fresh dill, chopped - my secret ingredient to making the best slaw!
- Spices: garlic granules + onion powder
See the recipe card for full quantities and instructions.
When I said this would be whipped up in no time, I meant it. Less than 5 minutes and this slaw will be sitting in the fridge waiting for you to top it over your next delicious meal.
Set up the ingredients by adding the pre-shredded mix to a large mixing bowl, chopping the fresh dill, and combining the dressing ingredients into a smooth consistency.
Drizzle the dressing over top and fold into the shredded cabbage. Layer in the fresh dill and combine until everything is evenly coated in the creamy sauce.
Tip: I recommend sticking the bowl in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until chilled.
For a non-mayo recipe, you can swap the vegan mayonnaise for plain vegan yogurt or any plain dairy-free yogurts, but you'll need to add more white vinegar or AVC. Taste test until you get a zesty flavor, like mayo, then add the other dressing ingredients.
In place of apple cider vinegar, you can use freshly squeezed lemon juice, white wine vinegar, or plain white vinegar.
In place of fresh dill, which I believe has a superior flavor, you can use dried celery seed and spring onions.
You can also customize and add any other crunchy vegetables you favor for extra crunch!
What meals can I pair this recipe with?
All you need for this crunchy cabbage recipe is a large bowl and a mixing spoon! If you're not using a pre-shredded coleslaw mix, you'll need a box grater.
Store leftover mayo coleslaw in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Stir well before reserving at your next bbq.
- Grab a bag of pre-shredded cabbage for a more streamlined prep process.
- Chill the creamy vegan coleslaw in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving!
Perfectly paired with coleslaw recipes
Loved this homemade coleslaw easy recipe? Leave us a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below, & don't forget to leave a review in the comments section underneath the recipe. We love hearing from you!
Dairy-Free Coleslaw Recipe (Vegan + Easy)
- 16 ounces pre-shredded cabbage
- ½ cup fresh dill chopped
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teasppoon onion powder
- Set up the ingredients by adding the pre-shredded mix to a large bowl, chop the fresh dill, and combine the dressing ingredients into a smooth consistency.
- Drizzle the dressing over top and fold into the shredded cabbage. Layer in the fresh dill and combine until everything is evenly coated in the creamy sauce.
- Place the bowl in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.