A quick and easy dinner that's both healthy and delicious? Meet Crumbled Tofu Tacos (Easy Vegan Recipe)! Packed with plant protein and bursting with flavor, these vegan tacos are sure to become a staple in your household. With just a few simple ingredients and minimal prep time, you’ll have a satisfying and delicious meal on the table in no time. These vegan beef tacos are the ultimate weeknight dinner, whether it's Taco Tuesday or not.
This recipe is a part of my meal prep series.
Tacos are quite possibly the most convenient and versatile meal we humans have. An entire weekday is devoted to tacos! Can you imagine in a couple of hundred years, people will look back and think, "Wow, those humans really loved tacos."
After falling in love with my Tofu Ground Beef recipe, I made it my mission to come up with tons of delectable recipes featuring it, like this one!
For this recipe, you'll need to make it first. It's effortless to prep and 30 minutes of passive cook time in the oven. It's a great idea to cook a large batch for your weekly meal prep, giving you different meal options for the entire week, like our Tofu Stuffed Peppers, Vegan Tofu Taco Salad Bowl with Creamy Dressing, and Teriyaki Donburi Recipe (Vegan Japanese Rice Bowl).
In this post, I share the following:
- My favorite taco stands
- The best store-bought taco shells (vegan + gluten-free)
- How to rehydrate the tofu taco meat and season it to taco perfection!
Use this section to jump to areas of interest within the post.
The minimal meal prep makes this recipe a home run for busy evenings. The complete list of ingredients includes options for various toppings depending on what you're craving!
- Tofu Ground Beef (Tofu Crumbles) - plant-based protein
- Seasonings - chili powder, garlic powder, and smoked paprika, the classic Mexican spices.
- Soft taco shells - I've loved Siete almond flour tortillas for years! Both their hard and soft shell tacos are delicious. The tortillas will be found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store.
- Vegetables - chopped romaine lettuce, diced white onion, and tomatoes pair perfectly with tacos.
- Favorite taco toppings - fresh cilantro, lime juice, fresh avocado, vegan sour cream, and vegan cheese. I recommend Vio Life or Chao vegan cheeses for this recipe.
- Sides - salsa, guacamole, tortilla chips, and white rice- create a complete meal!
See the recipe card for full quantities and instructions.
Tofu Ground Beef
If you haven't already, prepare and cook the Tofu Ground Beef (Tofu Crumbles) by doubling the recipe using two blocks of extra firm tofu. Then, start prepping the toppings, veggies, and side dishes.
Heat the soft tortilla shells by placing them in a hot skillet on the stovetop or in the oven for no more than 30 seconds. The objective is to warm the shell without making it crispy; otherwise, it may break.
Fill the bottom of the shell with the crispy bits of vegan ground beef, and if possible, use a taco stand to make it simpler to stuff with both hands.
Prep your favorite toppings and sides in small bowls for easy access.
Add vegetables like lettuce, tomato, and onion to the tacos, followed by vegan cheese and vegan sour cream.
Serving Tip: A helpful tip is to arrange the toppings in small dishes for an effortless taco filling.
Equipment Tip: Use taco stands to free both hands for stuffing.
Ingredient Tip: Squeeze lime juice over avocado slices or add it to the guacamole mix to prevent oxidation browning. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
A large skillet for the vegan ground beef, a small bowl for the toppings, and optionally, taco stands.
Keep all toppings, cut vegetables, and sides in airtight containers in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
The vegan ground beef can be frozen. Freeze in a freezer-friendly airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw, then reheat on a baking tray in the oven or in a stovetop skillet.
(1) Rehydrate the plant-based meat in a skillet with vegetable broth and taco seasonings for the perfect taco meat texture.
(2) Swap the tortillas for a large bowl and make taco salads or burrito bowls instead!
What taco seasoning should I use?
You can use the simple spices in the recipe card below or grab a taco seasoning packet from the grocery store. I really like the Siete packets!
Is this easy tofu tacos recipe gluten-free?
The recipe for vegan ground beef includes steak sauce and Worcestershire sauce, which are often not labeled gluten-free, even though they don't contain any obvious gluten ingredients. If you have gluten sensitivity, only buy if the bottle is labeled gluten-free.
If you're looking for gluten-free tortilla options, almond flour tortillas or corn tortillas are good choices.
more easy vegan recipes made just for you
Love this vegan tofu taco recipe? Leave us a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating on the recipe below, and don't forget to leave a review in the comments section underneath the recipe. We love hearing from you!
Crumbled Tofu Tacos (Easy Vegan Recipe)
- 8 soft tortillas (Siete brand almond flour tortillas)
- Tofu Ground Beef (Tofu Crumbles) (double the recipe using two blocks of tofu)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 head romaine lettuce, sliced thinly
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (on the vine)
- 1 cup diced white onions
- vegan cheese (I prefer VioLife or Chao)
- fresh avocado
- vegan sour cream
*This recipe uses my homemade vegan ground beef, linked under ingredients. If not already prepared, head over to that recipe and start prepping/cooking per instructions.
- Grab a large skillet and set it to medium heat. Pour two tablespoons of oil onto the skillet and swirl around. Once coated, toss the spices (garlic, chili powder, and smoked paprika). Using a flat-edge spatula move the spices around for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Decrease the heat to low and add the vegetable broth (or water). Then transfer the plant-based ground beef over the top. Stir gently, allowing the liquid to coat the tofu crumbles. Allow to sit and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Prep the vegetables by dicing the tomatoes and white onion and slicing the lettuce thinly - store in small bowls. Slice the avocado and set out the cheese and sour cream.
- Assemble the tacos: start by warming the tortillas in the oven or stovetop for 30 seconds. You want them warm to the touch but pliable, be careful not to overheat them, or they'll get crunchy.
- Add in the ground beef first, then veggies, and finally toppings.
- Serve with sliced avocado, vegan cheese, and vegan sour cream over top. Serve with a side of rice, salsa, and/or guacamole.